Happy birthday to cartoonist Sergio Aragonés!
He was born in 1937 in Castellon, Spain but his family soon relocated to Mexico during the Spanish Civil War. In Mexico, Sergio received his education, eventually studying Architecture at the University of Mexico, and also learning pantomime under the direction of Alexandro Jodorowsky. But his heart was always in cartooning, a craft he discovered in the third grade, to the delight of his classmates and the annoyance of his instructors. He contributed to school newspapers and anywhere else he could get his sketches printed and, at age 17, began selling professionally to a wide array of Mexican publications. He maintained a weekly spot for over ten years in Mañana Magazine.
In 1962, he decided to try his luck in America, and arrived in New York with only twenty dollars and a folder bulging with his cartoon work. At first, work was slow in coming and what he did sell didn’t pay very well, forcing him to work as a singer/poet in Greenwich Village restaurants and to pick up other odd jobs. Things changed when he mustered the courage to approach the top market for silly pictures, Mad Magazine. Embarrassed by his halting English, he went to their office and asked for Antonio Prohias, the Cuban refugee who drew their popular “Spy Vs. Spy” feature. Sergio figured that Prohias could translate for him, but he figured wrong: Prohias, though thrilled to meet a fellow Hispanic cartoonist, spoke even less English than Sergio. He did, however, introduce his new “brother” about, and the Mad editors liked what they saw.
- bilibili-dumdum likes this
- glendonworld likes this
- shashidhar0014 likes this
- shashidhar0014 reblogged this from part2of3
- mr-william-nilly-lofi-hi-sci likes this
- part2of3 reblogged this from afroxander
- riseofthefirebird reblogged this from afroxander
- riseofthefirebird likes this
- randomasis reblogged this from afroxander
- belefante said: part of the reason i started drawing was because of aragones drawings
- belefante likes this
- nochedehippies likes this
- afroxander posted this